Course Description Search
ENG 130 - Fundamentals of Journalism I
This is a writing-intensive course designed for students contemplating a career in journalism. The course will focus on the principles and techniques of journalism with an emphasis on the print media primarily weekly and daily newspapers. Topics include the nature of news, news gathering techniques, news reporting, digital journalism, ethics of journalism and journalism law.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Define "news."
- Discuss the impact of electronic media on print media.
- Explain the organization and hierarchy of a typical newspaper.
- Define newspaper terms.
- Interview sources.
- Write a lead.
- Write news and feature copy according to AP Style.
- Create a blog.
- Explain journalism law with respect to libel and invasion of privacy.
- Identify and summarize three ethical philosophies pertaining to journalism.
Prerequisite: English Composition I (ENG 100)
3 hours lecture each week 3 credits