Course Description Search
BDM 102 - Fundamentals of Masonry
This course introduces students to the proper use and application of associated tools equipment and materials commonly used in the masonry field. Topics covered include layout procedures, and proper use and application of cements, mortars and admixtures. Proper safety procedures, material uses and applications are addressed.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Apply proper basic tools to the job.
- Demonstrate proper use of a square, level and straight edge.
- Specify proper materials per job conditions.
- Spread mortar properly for setting brick and block.
- Demonstrate construction of chimneys and fireplaces.
- Lay out a job according to the plans and specifications.
- Erect brick and block corners.
- Demonstrate proper care and maintenance of tools.
- Document proper safety procedures with special emphasis on proper erection and care of scaffolding.
1 hour lecture, 2 hours laboratory each week 2 credits